The Technical Services Department provides product development and operations improvement services to clients across all industries and sectors.
We assist clients in improving existing or creating new products which are market-ready and meet required national and international standards and regulations. This is done through:
- Client engagements via consultation
- Product and idea assessments
- Visual inspections
- Assessment of the materials or ingredients used in the production and manufacturing of market-ready products
We also support clients in improving operations efficiency. Services include:
- Facility layout
- Productivity audits and improving process flows
- Providing techniques that will assist in reducing waste and assisting the operation to meet requirements for compliance and regulation
The team comprises trained experts in areas that cut across every industry. It includes Engineers, Brand and Visual Communicators and sector-specific specialists.
This is the epicentre of creativity where we explore the production of tangible goods. We provide technical support in developing prototypes, as well as design guidance to ensure that products conform to industry trends and market trends. Our experts help to identify appropriate materials, suppliers, competitive product pricing, packaging and branding where necessary. JBDC also develops its own product concepts and prototypes in-house to inspire clients.
Packaging & Brand Design services are the strongest representation of visual communications support to our clients. We develop visual elements which suit the company or brand profile with designs which are done in keeping with current trends that have market appeal. Clients are expected to provide a design brief with preferences or direction that help to guide the design process.
The Engineering Unit offers support across sectors and provide services which seek to improve the efficiency of operations and reduce cost of production and operations.
The services include:
- Process Improvement – We examine existing procedures with a view to improving business efficiency.
- Facility Assessment & Layout – We conduct facility audits to identify areas of deficiency that contribute to wastage, as well energy audits which measure.
- Process Documentation – Recognising the importance of standardisation in product development, JBDC assists clients to record procedures and processes and helps them to develop proper record-keeping systems.
- Production Planning – We guide clients on how to properly schedule and manage production processes so that they can produce at the right time, in the right amount and at the right cost.
The JBDC is keen on Operational Efficiency, which is the ability of an organisation to reduce waste in time, effort and materials as much as possible, while still producing a high-quality service or product. We offer the following services:
- Lean Manufacturing – Through consultation and assessment of facilities, we identify weaknesses in processes and make recommendations for improvements in production and business processes such as waste reduction and efficiency.
- Facility & product assessment – We guide clients to implement Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) as well as other quality assurance systems such HACCP and other food safety systems.
- Supply & Value Chain Analysis – JBDC takes its role in facilitation networking seriously. Hence it assists in identifying the key players in the supply chain network including those who provide equipment and raw materials as well as those who will contribute to efficiency in distribution, transportation and market access.
- Referrals – We provide referral services to regulatory and testing agencies such as the Bureau of Standards Jamaica, the National Compliance Regulation Authority, the Scientific Research Council and the Ministry of Health. Our unique relationship with these agencies ensures specialised treatment for our clients.